Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Chapter Eight



     Off the dock and onto the green grass of Thursday grounds, I ambled my way over first one hill, then the next.  I realized I wasn’t sure how far I’d gone while tee - dotting with Perry Moppins or where I’d started.  I looked to my right and saw off in the distance the vague outline of a dust colored path heading off into trees with brightly colored leaves.  Ah!  That was the way I had taken to Friday.  I went left.  After walking my way over three more grassy hills, I crossed my eyes and sure enough, there were rows of tiny tees, all with small dots in the middle, stuck into the ground.  Just then I heard the high, shrill voice of Perry Moppins herself and I turned around.
“Miss Smidge!  Oh, how wonderful!  You’re back for another round of tee dotting!”  She pulled up next to me and looked down at my feet.  “You’ve forgotten your roller skates again!  You must never leave home without them!”
“Yes, Yes, I know Perry.  But I’m not here for another round.  I’m actually on my way back home.  After I close up Mr. Curmudgeon’s Haberdashery.” I explain.  “Hello Tock!”  I reached over to lightly pat the tick on Perry’s shoulder with the tip of my finger. “ No longer nervous I hope.”
 “Well, Justa, we’re awful sorry you can’t join us.  We’re going for a new record in tee dotting today!  Brought extra brushes and ink!”  Perry pulled a handful of paint brushes from her pocket.
 “It all sounds very exciting.  Sorry to miss it.  Now, could you show me back to my armoire?  I can’t remember where exactly it was last I saw you.”  I asked.
“Armoire?  I’m not sure what you’re talking about Justa, dear friend.  Last you saw me, you’d stepped out of that hill just back there.”  Perry pointed to a small hill, off to the left with a door in it.
“Hmm, how odd.  That doesn’t look at all like the Haberdashery.  No one can see my front window display!” I walked on toward it.
 “Very well, Perry, thank you!  I’ll check it out.  Enjoy your day!”  I waved her off and she rolled out of sight, bending and dotting all the way.
 I opened the door in the hill and stepped through and sure enough the wooden floor inside stepped right out into the back room of the haberdashery!  I shut the door and sat down on the upholstered chair in the corner and looked about me.  Everything looked just as I’d left it.  Lights off, sign reading ‘Closed’ out front.  I checked the ice box and there was my dinner.  Un-opened and waiting for me.  I took out my sandwich and sat down again to eat it.  It was so nice to eat something proper.  I was famished!
 I must have dozed off while eating, because the next thing I knew, I opened my eyes, which I didn’t remember closing, and  Mr. Curmudgeon himself was leaning over me and tapping me on the shoulder.
“Miss Smidge!  Miss Smidge!”
 I sat up, shook my head and brushed the crumbs off my skirt.  “Dear me!  I must have dozed off.” I started.
 “Wonderful Miss Smidge!  You are just wonderful!  Not only is the Haberdashery properly closed up and tidy but you stayed through the night to oversee that all was well!  I’m proud to tell you Miss Smidge, you are getting a promotion!”
 “Promotion!”  I gasped.
 “Not only that but when I took your cinnamon buns to share with Ms. Ledger, she loved them so much, she invited me to dinner last night to celebrate the New Year with her...”  Mr. Curmudgeon blushed red at this and coughed a bit.  “...Ms. Ledger and I found we have the same taste in metal polishes.  She enjoys polishing coins as much as I do buttons.  We’ve decided to polish together every Thursday!  Thanks to you Miss Smidge! Yes, yes, now, you do look a bit sleepy.  Why don’t you run along home now and we’ll discuss your promotion later.”  (Cough, cough )  Then he headed to the front counter to open up for business.



One week later, as I’m opening the Haberdashery, turning over the closed sign to read ‘Open!’ to begin what looks to be a bustling morning by the line forming on the street, I’m pulled away by an incessant buzzing in my new window display...
There, bouncing off the glass is a large and ugly fly.  I make for the swatter, hanging near the counter and as I go to swat the repulsive thing... I don’t.
“Good morning to you Lord Horrid!”  I say and smile as I open the door to let him fly off into the cool morning breeze of Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Eight

     O ff the dock and onto the green grass of Thursday grounds, I ambled my way over first one hill, then the next.  I realized I wasn...