Monday, January 1, 2018

Chapter Two




Waving goodbye to Perry Moppins’ retreating form, I stood up and began to follow the path, lined on both sides by brightly colored leafy trees.  A slight breeze was causing them all to wave at me as I passed so I waggled my ringed fingers right back at them, it felt the polite thing to do, and breathed in their fresh, earthy scent.  The path opened up to a narrow cobbled street and as I set a brisk pace down toward what looked to be a town square, my mouth getting drier by the minute, I looked for that ‘tall drink of water’ promised by Mrs. Moppins.  I stopped dead in my tracks, for there, way up on stilts was the most handsome thing I’d ever seen!
 “Hello there fine lady! Welcome to Friday Square.  Might I offer you a drink?”
 I don’t know if it was shock, shyness or the fact that my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth but I could get no words out to answer the man, who was attempting to hand down a sparkling glass of water.  “I’m Dashing.” He said with a smile, showing off his perfectly white teeth and shining green eyes.
“You are!”  Came flying out of my mouth which I quickly corrected with “Ahrrm, are you?”
 I accepted the glass and drank it down trying not to gulp rudely.
“I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you around here before.  Such a pretty thing I’m sure I’d remember.”  He extended his hand in greeting.
 “Oh, I - I usually work the morning shift you see - I’m Justa Smidge.  Thank you for the water, it’s the best I’ve ever had.” This was no lie, I’d never had water this good.   I stood up on tip toe and took his hand, grasping it lightly to return the greeting.
“Is that tableware clinging to your beautiful fingers?” He asked 
“It is.” I answered smiling then asked him, “What’s with the stilts?”  He seemed plenty tall on his own with out them.
 “Why, I’m the well operator for Friday Square.  I must be on stilts to reach the top of the well.” He motioned with his hand down toward the center of the square where there most certainly was a large well, only it was towering up into the air instead of being dug into the ground.
“I see,” I replied, “I’m sure you operate it very well.” 
“Would you like to come up here with me? I could show you how to operate it. I have another set of stilts and it would be my pleasure to show you into town.”  He offered, his smile turning hopeful.
“As interesting as that sounds Mr. Dashing, and as wonderful as it’s been to meet you, that lovely drink of water has cleared my head and I’ve realized I’ve been gone much longer than anticipated and I’m still needed to close up shop at the haberdashery so I must be getting back.”       
 “Back to where lovely Miss Smidge?”  Dashing bent lower with a questioning look.
 “Why, back through the tee grounds to the armoire.”  I turned back looking to the path I’d just traveled.
“Back to Thursday Grounds?  From Friday Square?”  He asked.
 “Yes, yes, that’s it, Thursday Grounds, Perry did call them that didn’t she.”
“I’m sorry dear lady, no one can go back to Thursday from Friday, it just can’t be done.  Although the idea of turning back time is intriguing, many have wished to do just that, but usually to take back wrinkles and graying hair, none of which a lady so pretty and young as yourself might have need for.”  He explained in a kind voice, now giving me a sad smile.
“But I must!  Mr. Curmudgeon is expecting me to close up shop tonight, I just can’t disappoint him, not now that he’s trusting me with so much responsibility! I must get back to the armoire right away!”  I said firmly. “Is there another way there?”
“Well, yes,  if you’ll follow me, I’ll take you up past the well to the edge of Saturday and then you’ll have to travel to, yes, well, hmm..” He looked to be thinking, squinting his eyes and tipping his head to the sky.  “Please allow me first to show you around the well before you leave, won’t you?”  He looked as though he really would like me to stay awhile and he was so nice and so dashing that I relented.
“Alright.  Yes, I’d like very much for you to show me around your well.”
His face lit up.  “Wonderful!  This way then!”
 I followed along side of him, passing by several small cottages and a giant fountain spurting water out of the feet of some statue and into the air, none of which he mentioned.  I craned my neck to see him as he spoke and pointed out different interesting aspects of his well.  A stone shelf here, a pulley there, a bird’s nest tucked up under the eaves of the small well roof.  He quite literally walked around the circular structure of the well back to where we’d started.  Then he stopped abruptly and said, “Right, well, that’s it then.  Some days I wish this were a much bigger well.”  He looked to be contemplating the idea.  “Once you reach the town of Saturday," he pointed off down the road  "you can find the Mayor and she’ll take it from there.” He sighed.  “I would have liked to spend more time with such a lovely lady as yourself, show you the ropes if you will, it’s not often we get visitors and Friday is always a good time.  Allow me to offer you a drink for the road?”  He pulled from a shelf built into the side of the well, a clear, glass bottle of water and handed it down to me.  “Couldn’t have you telling others you’d come to the well at Friday Square and left thirsty now.”
“And I would have enjoyed seeing the ropes.  Perhaps another time?”  I said, relieved to find him willing to show me my way back.
 “Very well, this way. “  His long strides on stilts taking him to the square with minimal steps.  I had to hurry to keep up. 
“Thank you kindly Mr. Dashing.  I won’t forget you.”
“Happy to be of service Miss Smidge.  Now, just there, across the square to the edge of those roof tops you’ll find the Town of Saturday.  Look for the Mayor.  She’s always about and very nosy, if you know what I mean, she’ll notice a visitor.  Probably see you before you see her.”  He winked and then turned back to the well and began cranking a wheel, which lowered a rope, which lowered a bucket, and I was on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Eight

     O ff the dock and onto the green grass of Thursday grounds, I ambled my way over first one hill, then the next.  I realized I wasn...